What is the difference between a coffee maker and a coffee machine? What is the best choice for home use?
If you cannot imagine your morning without a fragrant cup of freshly brewed coffee, you cannot do without a kitchen helper. But what is better to choose - a coffee maker or a coffee machine? Consider the functional features, as well as compare the pros and cons of each device.
In recent years, coffee has taken on a whole new status. It's already not just a hot drink, but a significant part of the culture.
Thousands of people cannot imagine the beginning of their day without a cup of hot espresso, a friendly meeting without a glass of sweet latte and a romantic date without a cappuccino.
No wonder that many seek to automate and speed up the process making a drink at home.
What is the main difference?
Main difference and difference coffee makers and coffee machines – autonomy. The first device requires the direct participation of a person, and the second is fully automated and is able to prepare drinks of any level of complexity.
What features and functionality do coffee makers have?
The coffee maker is an electrical device for the home that able to prepare invigorating, hot coffee from ready-made raw materials.
Therefore, in order to drink a drink, you first need to grind the beans on a coffee grinder, if you have one, or buy a ready-made grind, and only then pour it into the device.
Types and principle of operation
Coffee makers are four main types:
- drip. A simple and convenient device, best suited for making classic Americano. The water heats up, steam and condensate are formed, due to which the water passes drop by drop through the filter and flows into the cup.
- Rozhkovaya. It differs from a drip-type device in the presence of a holder into which ground coffee is placed. A jet of hot water is passed through the holder under pressure, thanks to which you get a tart drink.
- Geysernaya. Water heating occurs in the lower part of the structure. Steam rises through the filter with crushed raw materials, into the upper compartment. It also accumulates ready-made coffee.
- Capsular. This type is gaining particular popularity recently, as it does not require an accurate calculation of the grain for a serving. The ground grain is already enclosed in a special capsule.
What features and functionality do coffee machines have?
A coffee machine, unlike a coffee maker, allows you to automate the process of making natural coffee - from the grinding stage to serving in a cup.
Just a few clicks on the appropriate keys, a couple of minutes of waiting, and you can enjoy your favorite espresso, americano, cappuccino, latte and other coffees.
Modern coffee machines have the following list of functionality:
- grinding coffee raw materials;
- adjusting the strength of the drink;
- the degree of grinding grains;
- water temperature adjustment;
- cappuccinatore (a device that froths milk into foam);
- automatic determination of the required volume of water for given portions;
- cup warmer.
Types and principle of operation
- Espresso combine. The unit with a coffee grinder makes it possible to use whole coffee raw materials in preparation.
- Portion. It is necessary to place a tablet in the device, designed to receive a certain amount of coffee.
- Rozhkovy. Considered the easiest to use. To make espresso, you need to put crushed grain in the horn. The drink is obtained by moving steam through the raw material.
- Capsular. To prepare the drink, special capsules sealed in foil are used, which are opened before immersion in the coffee machine or directly in the device itself.
What is the best choice for home?
Both a coffee maker and a coffee machine should meet your needs and personal gastronomic preferences.
Coffee brewed in a particular appliance has a number of distinctive abilities.:
- For lovers of strong classic espresso, a geyser coffee maker is the best fit.
- If you prefer a delicate cappuccino - give preference carob device.
- Delicious americano is obtained in drip devices.
- Capsule models allow you to experiment with flavors and textures.
Advantages and disadvantages
To clearly see all the pros and cons, check out the table that will help you choose the right device for you.
|coffee machine||Coffee maker|
|The grinding of grains is carried out directly in the machine immediately before making coffee||High price||Affordable price||Grains must first be ground|
|Possibility to adjust the temperature||Impressive dimensions||compactness||No temperature control|
|High brewing speed||Noise at work||Low noise||Speed is lower than coffee machines|
|Built-in milk frother||Ease of device and repair||The foam must be beaten separately|
|Deep taste and aroma of coffee||The use of pre-ground raw materials can adversely affect the taste.|
|Possibility to prepare several varieties of drink at once|
As you can see, the pros and cons of these devices are almost polar to each other. To make your final choice, please refer to the following table.
Comparative characteristics by main parameters
The table shows the main technical parameters of the coffee machine and coffee maker. Compare them to see which is best for you.
|Technical specifications||Coffee maker||coffee machine|
|Brewing principle||Hot water brewing||Brewing a clean drink without sediment|
|Control||Requires human intervention at all stages of the preparation of the drink||Requires minimal participation. Management is intuitive.|
|Recipes||Espresso, Americano||The main classic recipes and the opportunity to experiment with flavors thanks to the capsules|
|Settings||Minimum functionality||It is possible to adjust the degree of grinding, the number of servings, the water temperature,|
|Price||Available. Depending on the type - from 1000 and above||High - from 10,000 and above|
|The taste of the finished drink||Average taste values, depends on power||High taste performance, depends on the built-in functionality.|
Summing up, it is worth going over the main points again. When choosing between a coffee machine and a coffee maker, consider the main parameters:
- coffee machine - ideal for a large family or office, if you are not confused by the noise level of work and the high price.
- Unlike coffee makers, coffee machine saves you time in preparing a drink.
- Coffee maker suitable for beginnersand those on a budget.
- The total cost of the drink on a coffee machine it turns out cheaper than on a coffee maker if you buy whole coffee beans, and more expensive if you use capsules.
- Choose device type depending on your taste preferences. If you don't need anything more than classic espresso and americano, the coffee maker is your choice. If you like to experiment with flavors and textures, a coffee machine is the way to go.
From this video you will learn the main differences between coffee makers and coffee machines:
As you can see, there is no universal answer to the question - what is better a coffee maker or a coffee machine. In each case, it will be individual.